EDGY, ECO, ETHICAL - DEIDAA’S MANTRA
My name is Samita and I’m an eco-entrepreneur and a sustainable fashion YouTuber.
I studied at the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) in New Delhi and later gained a Master's Degree in Fashion Design, with honours, from Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand.
Early in my career I was shocked to see the terrible impact the fashion industry was having on the environment – especially with what we now call ‘fast fashion.’
I also saw the negative financial and cultural impact the fashion industry was having on artisan communities. Families were losing their livelihoods and communities were in danger of losing traditional craftsmanship.
Seeing this inspired me to start my own business where I could foster artisan communities and support sustainable practices. I launched Deidaa Eco-Gifts online which allowed me to introduce contemporary and marketable products to the artisans’ range.
Over the years, as a small business owner, I’ve contended with large fashion chains in the fast fashion industry. I’ve fought for artisans’ handcrafted goods to be recognised, highlighting the need to preserve and expand artisan crafts. I introduced eco-textiles like organic cotton and vegan silk long before they became commonly known.
Thanks to my loyal community of customers, Deidaa Eco-Gifts successfully creates eco-friendly products designed in Australia and made in India and Australia.
We offer Australian Printed Silk Scarves, Kaftans, Handmade Organic Toys, Unique Australian Gifts, Kids' Apron Sets, Calico Bags, Steel, Wood and Brass Utensils and more.
WHY YOU CAN TRUST DEIDAA
Everyone has the right to use beautiful home and lifestyle products that don’t harm our planet.
- Deidaa’s manufacturing unit is a GOTS-certified producer of organic textiles. Global Organic Textile Standard – GOTS (global-standard.org)
- We are also approved by SEDEX as a sustainable, ethical and socially responsible manufacturer. Supplier Ethical Data Exchange – SEDEX Sustainable Supply Chain Solutions - Sedex
- Deidaa products are made with natural materials, like organic cotton, and vegan tussar silk. Our range of handcrafted clothing and household items includes dresses, skirts, tops, bags, home décor, and much more. They’re manufactured ethically and responsibly, minimising waste and pollution.
- Mass production robs artisans of creative satisfaction. Deidaa aims to preserve traditional crafts and retain the artisan's self-respect. We contribute to artisans’ financial and emotional well-being by creating a demand for their crafts.
- Deidaa was one of 4 Australian fashion businesses selected to showcase at World Boutique, Hong Kong.
- Deidaa has shown at the Mercedes Australia Fashion Week, Air New Zealand Fashion Week, Fashion Exposed, and Reed Gift Fairs among others.
- I am an alumna of the prestigious National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) in New Delhi, India.
- I have a Master's Degree, with Honours, in Fashion Design from Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand.
- I was the Coordinator of Major Studies (Fashion and Costume Design) at the Academy of Design Australia (AoDA), Port Melbourne for nearly a decade.
DEIDAA FOR RETAILERS
Are you a brick-and-mortar store, online shop or marketplace committed to stocking artisan-based, ethical and sustainable fashion accessories and lifestyle products?
Deidaa’s design studio in Melbourne, Australia can custom-make fabrics, garments, calico bags, cushions, bed and table linen, and other lifestyle products to your specifications. Our highly qualified designers are experienced in design development, digital and screen printing, embroidery, and patternmaking.
Deidaa provides retailers with the complete package from design through to manufacturing, quality assurance, shipping and customs clearance.
Deidaa has stockists in the following cities. A stockist list is supplied on request.
Sydney (Darlinghurst) – Young, Lismore, Broken Hill
Melbourne - Sale, Foster, Myrtleford
Brisbane (Carindale, Paddington) – Mooloolaba, Atherton
Adelaide - Barossa Valley
- New Zealand:
Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Waikato, Hawkes Bay, Gisborne
- Ireland: Dublin
- Canada: Toronto
- Winner of the Ausmumpreneur Awards 2020 Silver Trophy in the Sustainability category.
- Finalist at the Style Pasifika Fashion Awards in Auckland, New Zealand for 2 successive years.
- Finalist at the National Retail Awards in the Sustainability Champion of the Year category in 2021
- Nominee for the Women of the Year Awards 2023, City of Kingston, Melbourne
- Nominee for the Woman of the Year Awards 2022, Celebrating International Women's Day, City of Kingston, Melbourne
- Finalist at the Sustainable Business Awards, organised by Kingston City Council, Melbourne, Australia in 2023.
Deidaa's founder Samita and artisan Nima spinning the Deidaa story
➡️Facebook - 🔗https://www.facebook.com/deidaaecogiftsonline/
➡️Instagram - 🔗https://www.instagram.com/deidaaecogiftsonline/
➡️LinkedIn - 🔗https://au.linkedin.com/in/deidaa-eco-gifts-b2333553
➡️YouTube - 🔗https://www.youtube.com/c/learnwithsamita
SAMITA’S (OPEN) SECRETS
I named my business Deidaa in honour of my mother who taught herself sewing, patternmaking and embroidery. She was a superb artisan, inspiring my academic fashion studies in India and New Zealand, and providing unflinching support for my business. Deidaa was the endearing name my daughter Shilpi had for her grandmother.
I like to spread the message about ethical, eco-friendly manufacturing by lecturing at international conferences and through social media. I also write articles on sustainable and ethical fashion and eco-textiles in Australia, New Zealand, and India.
Deidaa Dog Simba joined the Deidaa Team four years ago. He keeps the Deidaa Team sane and helps their wellbeing. Simba is the inspiration behind Deidaa’s eco-warriors, organic stuffed animals with recycled plastic filling.
LEARN MORE WITH SAMITA
Please tour my website and find out more about my brand. I’m happy to answer questions about my products and the sustainable fashion industry.
Check out Learn with Samita on my Blog and YouTube channel where I talk about sustainability, art & crafts, and communities. I offer top tips for a sustainable lifestyle as well as featuring craft therapists, eco-florists, wellness experts, and upcoming designers.
Samita, founder and owner of Deidaa, with her husband Pradip, daughter Shilpi and Deidaa Dog Simba