I am Samita, an eco-entrepreneur and a fashion academic. I graduated from a couple of elite fashion schools wearing rose tinted glasses. I was ready to conquer the world. My rose-tinted glasses came off in no time. Very early in my career, I began to work with the artisan communities. I witnessed crafts and craftspersons perishing due to lack of support. I could foresee the devastation that would follow in the wake of fast fashion and assembly line production. I detected a need to include contemporary and marketable products in the artisans’ repertoire.This inspired me to launch a business that would foster artisan communities and support sustainable practices.
In the initial years, I struggled to get recognition for artisan crafts and hand made products. It was a David and Goliath battle between a small business and store chains peddling fast fashion. I spoke about the evils of fast fashion. I highlighted the need to preserve and expand artisan crafts. I introduced eco-textiles like organic cotton and vegan silk long before they became household names.
Where is Deidaa now:
After years of relentless work, I have been able to create a loyal following for Deidaa’s handcrafted products and eco-textiles.
- Deidaaecogiftsonline Australia offers Handmade Organic Toys, Kids Apron Sets, Unique Australian Gifts, Calico Bags, Australia Printed Silk Scarves, Steel Utensils, Kaftans and More, Designed in Australia, Made in Australia, and India.
DEIDAA’S MANTRA – EDGY, ETHICAL, ECO.
- I am an alumnus of the NIFT, New Delhi, India.
- I have a Master's degree in Fashion Design with honours from Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand.
- I was a finalist at the Style Pasifika Fashion Awards in Auckland, New Zealand for two successive years.
- For nearly a decade, I was the Coordinator of Major Studies (Fashion and Costume Design) at the Academy of Design Australia (AoDA), Port Melbourne
- I lecture at international conferences and write articles on sustainable and ethical fashion and eco- textiles in Australia, New Zealand, and India.
- I spread the eco and ethical message through my social platforms.
- I won the Ausmumpreneur Awards 2020 silver trophy in the Sustainability category.
- Are you a bricks and mortar store, online shop/marketplace looking for artisan based, ethical and sustainable fashion accessories and lifestyle products? Deidaa’s apparel and accessories are designed in her Melbourne studio and produced in an ethical, socially responsible and sustainable manner.
- Deidaa has stockists in Dublin, Toronto, Sydney, Darlinghurst, Young, Lismore, Broken Hill, Melbourne, Sale, Foster, Myrtleford, Carindale, Paddington, Mooloolaba, Atherton, Adelaide, Barossa Valley, Perth, Launceston, Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Waikato, Hawkes Bay, and Gisborne. Stockist list supplied on request.
- Deidaa can custom make fabrics, garments, calico bags, cushions, bed and table linen, and other lifestyle products to your specification. Deidaa has a design studio in Melbourne, Australia. A team of highly qualified and experienced design professionals offers you the complete package - design development, digital and screen printing, embroidery, patternmaking, manufacturing, quality assurance, shipping, and customs clearance.
- Deidaa's manufacturing unit is a GOTS certified producer of organic textiles. It has been approved by SEDEX as a sustainable, ethical and socially responsible manufacturer.
- Deidaa was one of the four Australian fashion businesses selected to showcase at World Boutique, Hong Kong.
- Deidaa has shown at the Mercedes Australia Fashion Week, Air New Zealand Fashion Week, Fashion Exposed, Reed Gift Fairs among others.
Shilpi, my daughter, named our business Deidaa, an endearment she used for her grandmother.
My Two Children:
I have two children, my daughter and my business. Deidaa, for me, is not facts and figures. It is a passion I have nurtured along with my daughter. My daughter, Shilpi studied Fashion Design at the Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand.
Deidaadog Simba joined the Deidaateam one year ago. He keeps Deidaateam sane and secure. Simba is the inspiration behind Deidaa’s eco-warriors, organic stuffed animals with recycled plastic filling